Monday, October 29, 2007

Raising the Cabin

I love the idea of “pitching in”.

When asked to help with a project, I usually jump in offering whatever I can. More often than not it’s a “2-for” as I volunteer Robin too. In return, I expect a genuine appreciation for the offer and respect for my offering.

We recently participated in a small scale barn-raising at Orchard Hill as farm friends gathered together, raising the structure for a pier & beam, straw bale cabin. Sitting on a concrete foundation, the two story structure (a future home for the farm apprentices) incorporates passive solar radiant sub-floor heating. The majority of the materials, from the hand-hewn beams to the straw bales, were drawn from the farm.

Of course I’m not writing about cabins or construction or even sustainable living. I’m writing about a rare, genuine sense of community; a community of which I am privileged to be a part. Like Scotland’s mythical Findhorn, there’s a spirit at Orchard Hill, quietly nurtured, whose sole purpose seems to be respectful gratitude. Or perhaps that is just what the spirit brings to me, because that’s what I need.

This energy was hard at work as 50 or so folks were joined in a harmonious group effort. Under a moody sky and amid leaf-filled gusts, I watched as leaders led, workers worked, and children played. Upon breaking for lunch, we joined hands in a silent prayer then each took a seat on our straw bale chairs, enjoying the food and company. (I loved my cheesy-crunchy mac and cheese, roasted veggies, coleslaw, green beans with pesto, tomatoe/black olive/feta tart, some of Robin’s salad and fresh bread, followed by tea, pumpkin-carrot cake and chocolate-covered-almond-peanut clusters). Okay, so I writing about community AND food; we must nourish both the soul and the body.

Though we were unable to elevate as much of the structure as we would have liked, the day was a wonderful success for me as my spirit was raised once again. Raised simply by being in an environment of respect and gratitude.


And did I mention mac and cheese?

No comments: