Saturday, October 13, 2007

Our short memories

I live in a small town and cycle through a high school parking lot on my way to work each day. I gotta say, of all places, shouldn’t the parking lot be empty? I mean, what are these kids being taught? I can count on one hand the number of bicycles I see, but can barely navigate my way through the monster trucks and around the idling busses.
Almost every time I read about biofuels (biodiesel or ethanol), there is a reference to the “big oil crisis of the 1970’s” when the per-barrel price of oil doubled and there was "chaos at the pumps!". We were all going to be more fuel-conscious and buy small cars. Hmmm …
My friend at work says she’ll quit smoking when her doctor says "you've got to or else". I guess that’s when people figure they’ll stop driving – once they have no other choice; once it’s all gone. Given maybe a decade or two left of oil, it seems to me that we should be using it to make things that will benefit future generations, like solar panels or medical equipment, rather than burning it up, driving the current generation to school.

No comments: