Monday, June 2, 2008

Two Great Ladies


We lost two great ladies this week;

One passed quietly, surrounded by loved-ones;


One went in a blaze, having been abandoned, neglected.



















Margaret Jean Kerr (Dobie)


Margaret Kerr, Mrs. Kerr to me and thousands of others, was my kindergarten teacher who died this week at 91.

Many of us have fond memories of our first teacher, and my connection to Marg extends beyond teacher/student, as I remember her kindness to me during a difficult time early on in my life.

Our paths crossed several times over the next forty years, most recently last September where I had a moment with her at a church event. At ninety, still living in her own home, poised and assured, she welcomed me back to St. Thomas, and asked me if I'd found happiness in my journeys, to which I responded I had. Later, when I heard she wasn't well, I wrote her a note, sending a big warm hug, returning the affection and comfort she'd given me long ago; comfort I carry with me today.

I hope she was able to feel that hug. While writing it I realized that a moment of kindness can support a soul for a lifetime, as hers had for me.


Alma College
1871 to 2008


When her doors were opened "to the daughters of the worlds elite" in 1881, Alma College was really more of a dame than a lady, offering a liberal arts program and athletics alongside her domestic science, elocution and fancywork (stitchery)

You could catch a glimpse of one of the pointy slate towers almost anywhere in town (keep in mind, most of St. Thomas is no taller than a three story home) and most everyone has their own "Alma" connection.

Apart from those who attended school there or raised a family in the staff accommodations, there were weddings in the chapel and graduations in the amphitheatre, swimming and music lessons. Many were extras in the two movies filmed there. The Alma College International Alumne Association continue to meet, though this year will be bittersweet, now that the inevitable, predictable moment has arrived.











I remember rehearsing a play outside in the amphitheatre, and performing on the small stage inside. The deserted, ruined estate was always part of the tour for our out-of-town guest, who mirrored our amazement that something so beautiful was left to rot; our own Mrs. Haversham, right to the end.

Gutted by it's current, owners, it's downspouts removed to, some have accused, accelerate foundation deterioration, the site was left to the hands of vandals, nature and the elements.

Alma took only minutes to burn to the ground, as much the result of arson as deliberate neglect. Though a couple of bored kids sparked the final flame, her days were quickly coming to a close; her fate was sealed with a demolition order granted shortly before the fire. And in spite of our "saw that coming" attitude, it was shocking to see such a cruel finish come to such a gracious lady.

So, two proud figures of St. Thomas history are now relegated to the world of lore. I, for one, will continue to celebrate both, privileged to have been a witness, and will continue telling my stories.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Neil,
Thank you for such a heart felt tribute to our mother, Margaret Kerr. I love your anaolgy of 2 great ladies.
Mom was such a special lady, not only to her family and friends but also to her extended family. She loved all of her 'kids' and remembered them in so many ways and at all times. I was always amazed at Mom's memory of her students and everyone she met. She just loved people!
Thank you again - I also feel the hug!

Sincerely, Jim Kerr (Margaret's son)