Monday, July 21, 2008

Candy Tongue, Tattoos

When we moved to St. Thomas last year, we were moving towards something, not away from something. Yet we did leave behind some pretty special bits of our lives.

Such as my pal Lisa.

Now here's a gal who likes things the way she like things and if you dare to ask "why?", you'd be wise to take a seat.
She's got a knack for making me split-a-gut.
I've never laughed so hard, and for such a long time as we did that one particular time together, and all it took was a highlighter and a ceiling fan. That's how it is with Lisa - even getting your change back at a store can end in tears. It's hard to explain; it's a kind of magic.

I remember another time together
when we encountered an old-style screen door on a store in Toronto's Queen West. Admittedly it was an odd sight, a porch door in such an urban setting, but Lisa was completely stumped (and a squirrel could have got it opened) - I don't know what was funnier, Lisa's mystified look as she gingerly opened the creaking door, or her look moments later, leaving the store, when she got flummoxed all over again.

But I'll pull this back from sounding like a eulogy and take aim at the target - I big thanks for all the belly laughs we've had and the many still to burst out.


a tattoo haiku

candy tongue tattoos by neil hubert

The candy tongue tattoos
were kind of a hit -
Whilst sitting Miguel who is 9, I suggested
We should each get a tongue tattoo
courtesy of my friend Lisa
(who you've not yet met)

He was so excited,
he wanted to wait

to show his mom,
who was away in Spain,
for another week hence

(likely drinking Mateus and thinking about him)
so I said
We'll do them closer
to her date of return
and I forgot.

now I can't find them
for
I think he put them in his pocket
likely sticky now
from running and splashing

laundering and wringing
but still fun, though not on the tongue
our candy tongue tattoos

not for candy tongues


No comments: